I’ve been here almost a week now, which seems crazy. The warm Caribbean sun seems so distant. Some things about living here/the first week:
- It was so much colder than I anticipated. It rained sideways all day and was so windy, but now the sun is out and I realized how much I love warm weather.
- We have no convenient access to internet or a phone. It’s a 15 minute walk to a local café to use their free wifi.
- We live in volunteer houses. Mine has 9 people from a variety of countries, but 28 people started the program this week and there are a lot where here prior to our arrival. Most of them have been really nice!
- I work in a local township (a low income area) working to improve the math and reading skills of elementary aged students. I’m realizing how difficult it is to teach someone how to read, but I really love when I get to work on math with them. Everyday we go into the schools and tutor kids from each class who are struggling and then also act as a physical education teacher because the school has no gym teacher or program.
- It’s not ridiculously dangerous here, but there are a lot of precautions you have to take to ensure you don’t put yourself in danger. I’m realizing that I don’t want to live somewhere like that in the future.
Overall it’s been good so far and I can’t wait to work with the kids more J